Freelancing is a remote way of earning without employment in an office. You can sit on a beach with a laptop, do some tasks, and get paid for them. If you want to know more about freelancing, the opportunities available, and the way to make money as a freelancer keep reading.
What is freelancing?
Freelancing means making money while self-employed. Freelancers are hired by companies or individuals to perform certain individual one-time tasks, and sometimes for permanent work. In this case, the employee may be located in another city or even in another country.
Freelancers can work remotely with one or more clients. A freelancer can be a tutor, an accountant, a web developer, a repairman, a pastry chef, etc. Most often, freelancers are specialists in the field of IT, advertising, and marketing, or representatives of creative fields who themselves look for orders, fulfill them and get paid for them.
How to become a freelancer?
There are some requirements to become a good freelancer that earn a lot of money:
1. Choose the services you will provide:
It is better to choose a freelance job that will be of interest to you. First of all, you need to love your job. But also you must initially have the necessary skills and achievements in this area.
2. Educate yourself very well in your field:
Watch free lessons on YouTube for your chosen profession. Learn the basics of the software you will need in your field to gain the skills you need to get the job done. You can learn a lot on your own.
3. Determine your benefits and price:
Newcomers attract customers with low prices. Study the offers of other freelancers, compare them with your skill level, and based on that determine the price of your services. Identify your strengths and focus on them when communicating with customers.
4. Create a portfolio:
A portfolio is a list of your works, according to which the client decides on cooperation. In the beginning, you may have nothing to show, so it is necessary either to complete part of the orders for free or for a small cost. If you ask for a small fee, then finding a customer is not a problem. And as the amount of work performed increases, the cost of services can be increased.
5. Prepare additional tools:
You must have all the necessary tools to work remotely like a computer, internet, a phone, an e-mail, a Skype account, and electronic wallets to receive fees.
6. Look for orders:
If you decide to do freelancing, then it is best to look for the first orders while being employed. Do this through friends and specialized websites. Leave your contacts on the Internet and offer services. Your list of useful contacts will grow, and customers will find you through their friends and recommendations.
Advantages of Freelancing:
- As a freelancer, your schedule will be free. This is important if you have children or find it difficult to get up early in the morning for work.
- You save time and money on the road to the office, clothes, car, etc.
- You have the opportunity to earn more than they pay you at the office.
- You have more opportunities to realize your potential.
- You are not obliged to work just with one employer. You can cooperate with 5-6 different clients. The loss of one order will not be critical.
- You enjoy the feeling of freedom (no boss, no dress code, etc.).
- You can live in any city, but work for customers from other countries all over the world and receive fees.
- You are free to travel wherever and whenever you want. You can take a vacation at any time as you can take your work with you.
- Working as a freelancer is the first step toward creating your own business.
- You are only responsible for your own actions.
Disadvantages of Freelancing:
- You need to look for orders and communicate with customers yourself.
- Because there is no established client base, portfolio, and ratings on the freelancing websites, it may be difficult to find orders.
- It is required to independently organize the working day.
- Not everyone finds it easy to work from home as there will be great temptations to lie down on the sofa and relax.
- It is necessary to engage in advanced training and pay for courses and software.
- As a freelancer, you will not get paid vacation and other social insurance, as in employment.
- The instability of earnings is the main disadvantage of freelancing. It is difficult to predict exactly how much you will earn in a particular month. You can do a lot of work one month, and get only a few orders the next.
- You need to always stay connected and monitor the websites looking for orders.
- You will lack constant communication with colleagues.
- There is a possibility of fraud on the part of the employer.
How to avoid being cheated on?
As in any business, freelancing has certain risks of encountering dishonest customers. To lower them consider the following tips:
- Collect information about the clients like reviews and customer ratings before starting cooperation.
- Don’t agree to do large test tasks for free.
- Do not undertake to write 10 articles for example with payment after delivery. It is better to ask to be paid for each article.
- If the order is long or big offer the client to break it into parts with payment after the delivery of each part.
- Do not pay insurance premiums and do not agree to work through unverified guarantors.
- Do not provide clients with confidential data that can be used to gain access to your accounts.
In-Demand Freelancing Jobs that Help you Make good Money:
The labor market changes constantly. It is important to track them in order to understand where the business is heading and what there is a request for. This will allow you to quickly adapt to demand and remain a sought-after specialist.
This specialty is in demand in a variety of areas: reportage photography, artistic photography, wedding or family photography, advertising photography, shooting in the modeling business, etc.
For successful work, a photographer needs to know the theory of photography, and the basics of composition, and be able to work with photographic equipment.
2. Video editor:
Video Editors are people who are experienced in editing videos. They can use various video editing software to create professional-quality videos.
Video editor specialists must have good editing skills and knowledge of video formats. They must be able to use the software to create a variety of videos, including commercials, promotional videos, and educational videos.
3. Graphic Designer:
Graphic designers are responsible for creating visual communications that engage an audience. They design logos, websites, advertising, and any other types of visual content. They may also work on commission, creating graphics for individual clients or projects.
A graphic designer’s job is to think outside the box and come up with new and innovative ways to market products or services. They need to have a good eye for detail and be able to create striking visuals that will capture an audience’s attention.
4. Motion graphic designer:
A motion graphic designer is a person who creates videos that incorporate graphics, animation, and motion effects. He/She must be good at creating a wide variety of visuals, from corporate videos to viral marketing campaigns.
5. Web Designer:
Web designers are in charge of creating the look of a website. They come up with ideas for the website’s layout, color palette, and overall design. They also work with the website’s content creators to come up with ideas for the website’s content. Web designers must be able to use a variety of design tools and software to create a website.
6. Web Programmer:
7. SEO Specialist:
SEO specialists are people who optimize websites for search engines. This is one of the most in-demand freelancing jobs because SEOs can easily run multiple projects at the same time. They have the expertise and the knowledge to help your website rank higher on search engine results, making it easier for people to find your website.
8. Social Media Manager:
Social media managers are important parts of any company’s online presence. They are responsible for managing the company’s social media accounts and developing strategies to grow the company’s online presence. Social media managers must be able to identify and target key audiences, create effective content, and manage social media interactions. They must also be able to monitor their company’s online reputation and respond quickly to online criticism.
The services of a professional translator are always in great demand, and modern technology makes it possible to work from home. If you are fluent in one or more foreign languages, then this can be a great opportunity to earn money.
10. Account Manager:
The Account Manager is essential to the success of any business. With the ability to communicate effectively with customers and suppliers, as well as manage IT and marketing resources, the account manager can ensure that a company’s account is managed efficiently and effectively.
Most often, account managers work with a specific company, just remotely. But they can also be freelancing if the workload is unstable or if they are busy looking for leads for a percentage.
A copywriter is a person who creates content like informational articles in company blogs, news items, texts on landing pages, scripts, and descriptions in product cards for online stores, etc.
This is a modification of a finished text in order to obtain a unique material. This is a fairly affordable way to earn money that does not require special skills. It is desirable to have a good knowledge of the language and a rich vocabulary.
Freelancing has become a popular way to get work done outside of a traditional job. There are many benefits to freelancing, such as flexibility and the ability to work from anywhere. However, there are also some challenges to freelancing, such as finding good work and managing finances. In this essay, we discussed the benefits and challenges of freelancing, provided some tips for managing them, and mentioned some most in-demand fields of freelancing.