YouTubers are people who create videos and post them on their YouTube channels. The uniqueness of the YouTube model is that creators can earn money directly in many ways. If you want to know how it happens read the article.
What is YouTube?
YouTube is the most popular video hosting in the world and one of the most popular resources on the entire Internet. There is no website quite like YouTube in terms of popularity and reach. It is a website where people can go to watch, download, and share videos on a variety of topics. With an audience of over two and a half billion people, YouTube is used in almost every country in the world.
It has millions of videos with some having billions of views. In addition to posting videos, you can also share shorts, lives, and posts in the community.
YouTube was opened by a group of talented American guys in 2005: Jawed Karim, Chad Hurley, and Steve Chen. They were former employees of PayPal. At that time, it was not yet similar to what it is now. Development went pretty quickly, and soon the creators introduced YouTube to the world.
The domain name was registered on February 14, 2005. On April 23, the first test video appeared there. The official history of YouTube began in November-December of the same year when the site was launched for a wide range of users.
The release of YouTube in wide distribution marked the beginning of its development. Such services did not exist at that time, so the site quickly began to gain popularity. In July 2006, the YouTube audience reached 100 million, and the number of downloaded videos was 65,000. Around that time, Google became interested in the service and bought it for $ 1.65 billion in the fall of the same year.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a YouTube Channel:
- You can start a channel without paying any fees. It is totally free.
- It is quite easy to start developing your channel.
- You can upload as many videos as you like; there is no finite space.
- You can work at home at any time without being restricted or obliged to a time frame.
- Billions of people already use it and will easily find your content through search engines.
- You can make money from videos. YouTube gives you a real opportunity to quit your traditional job and make money online.
- When you do well with your channel you will become well-known and build relationships with people all over the world.
- Some of your videos may be deleted from your channel or banned for trivial reasons without warnings.
- It is almost impossible to communicate with real people in support, you always get robotic answers.
- It is difficult to make serious content. Educational channels, for example, don’t do well, but entertainment ones become very successful.
- There is a lot of negativity on YouTube. People usually don’t look at the good points of your content. They focus on the points that you failed in and start to criticize your work.
- There is always something new you need to learn, but learning new things is not always easy.
How does Monetization work?
It is easy to understand how the process of earning money from YouTube works. Technically it looks like this:
- You publish a video.
- The video is watched by subscribers and casual viewers.
- YouTube embeds advertisements in your video.
- The advertiser pays YouTube for placing advertising materials.
- YouTube shares part of the profit with you because it uses its content to promote the products and services of advertisers.
As you can see, the principle of operation here is quite simple. However, no one knows how much advertisers pay for advertising, and what percentage ultimately goes to content creators. The more views the videos receive, the more the author can earn.
The sources of YouTube earnings:
There are many ways to monetize a channel on YouTube and start making money today.
This is a basic function that allows content authors to earn money by displaying ads in their videos. When you become a member of the YouTube partnership program, you immediately begin to receive income from advertising. To be illegible to get paid in this way you have to be more than 18 years old and have more than 1000 subscribers and more than 4000 watch hours on your channel.
2. YouTube Premium:
When your videos are viewed by users with a Premium subscription, ads are not shown to them. Therefore, YouTube pays you a certain amount for watching videos by this category of viewers.
3. Sell Products or Merchandise:
You can promote your own products or services on your channel by making videos about them and trying to convince your audience to buy them.
4. Become an Affiliate Marketer:
You can promote others’ products or services by making videos about those products and sharing them on your channel.
5. Direct Advertising:
You can partner with third-party brands that are willing to pay to be mentioned in your videos.
6. YouTube Shorts Foundation:
In 2021 and 2022, YouTube allocated $100 million for those who make short videos. In fact, this is a new program to encourage authors. To receive a reward, it is not necessary to be a member of the affiliate program.
7. Sale of Souvenirs:
YouTube allows you to promote souvenirs directly on the viewing pages using different tools. These platform features allow creators to sell their own merchandise to fans.
8. Super Chat and Super Stickers:
During premieres and live broadcasts, you can offer your subscribers to communicate via Super Chat. In it, viewers can post paid messages highlighted in a special color and funny stickers. You will receive income, and they will have the opportunity to attract attention and demonstrate support.
9. YouTube Brand Connect:
You can make money on YouTube by partnering with organizations that run advertising campaigns with branded content on the platform. The Brand Connect service analyzes the audience of the channel and selects the right brands. Then it offers options, and you decide who you want to work with.
Tips and Tricks Build a Successful YouTube channel that makes money:
1. Choose a niche and determine your target audience:
You need to choose a niche – a topic that would attract you and that you understand. Your niche should be unique and trendy and it should attract your audience and be useful for them. If you try to create a general YouTube channel for everyone, you will most likely fail. You need to clearly understand what kind of people will watch your videos. Based on this, you will plan content, create channel design, and record videos.
You should plan the videos that you are going to post. This will help guarantee that you post regularly and do not run out of ideas. It’s not enough to just post random videos on YouTube. You need to put thought into what type of content will best suit your audience.
3. Upload Videos Regularly:
It is not a good idea to post videos randomly, like posting two videos on one day and then don’t post anything for two weeks. It is better to upload videos regularly at a certain hour for example every day, every three days, or once a week. This will make your audience expect your upcoming videos and wait for them.
4. Optimize Your Videos (SEO):
YouTube is the world’s biggest video search engine. You should optimize your YouTube channel for keywords to rank higher in search results for those keywords.
In order to make your channel grow more and more, you need to promote your videos on other social media platforms and blogs. You can post a teaser video about an upcoming video or give a sneak peek post.
6. Analyze your audience and improve your channel:
Analyze your performance to get an understanding of what works and what doesn’t. YouTube has a built-in analytics tool that you can use to understand how your account and videos have performed. When you understand your current audience and account performance, you can improve your channel more and more.
7. Engage your audience and connect with them:
Stay connected to your audience by asking them about the topics they want you to make videos about, answer their questions without delay, and be there for them if they ask for help.
8. Ignore all the negativity that you face:
It is very normal to face people who undermine your work and criticize you. Don’t listen to them and keep going. Humans always look at the empty part of the glass and ignore the full part.
YouTube and Copyright:
YouTube protects the copyright of every author and video creator. Content uploaded to YouTube must comply with the Terms of Service, Community Guidelines, and the AdSense program policies. It assures you not to break the rules of the service and to be polite and rely on common sense. The context of the video matters a lot and is very often the basis for deciding whether to include an ad or not. YouTube allows you to express yourself and convey something to your audience. It is a family-friendly platform and respects simple human values.
Moderators may disable channel monetization due to non-compliance with the community rules. Most often this happens for the following reasons:
- Copyright infringement;
- Video with illegal actions;
- Materials of a sexual nature;
- Use of nudity in content;
- Discriminatory speech;
- Manifestation of hatred or cruelty.
In this article, I shed the light on everything that you need to know to courage you to start a YouTube channel and start making money. I defined the platform, gave a historical review, mentioned the cons and pros, recited the resources of monetization, and presented some tips and tricks for building a successful YouTube channel.
It is never too late to start a YouTube channel. Make some research and find a trendy niche that you like and start your channel now.